From her early teens Karen had a passion for pursuing a career in health, having completed training in Kinesiology, Reiki, and Dowsing by the time she was 19. A few years later, following a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes and Polycystic Ovarian syndrome in 1988, Karen decided to move from her career as a Speech and Language Therapist to train as a Naturopathic Nutritional Therapist and Allergy Therapist. Twenty years on, Karen’s passion for her Nutritional career remains and she loves supporting women of all ages with their hormonal health, knowing that change is possible and good health can be achieved.
As well as writing courses and tutoring students of Nutritional Therapy and Anatomy & Physiology for the School of Health, Karen runs a busy full-time practice in Monmouth on the welsh border, supporting people with a wide range of conditions.
Karen feels it is a real privilege to tutor each student and see their progression in both knowledge and confidence as they move through the course. She is often so impressed with the level of effort and care that is taken for each assignment. What an amazing job to support the Nutritional Therapists of the future!
Karen has had a really varied career, beginning as a Speech and Language Therapist in the NHS, moving into charity work as a Manager and Nutritional Therapist and now a full time clinical practice. She has had extensive experience working with children, especially those with Autistic Spectrum Disorders across the UK, Europe and South Africa. She has also lectured throughout Europe on various nutritional topics, women’s health and elements of child development.
Besides nutrition Karen’s passions in life are spending time with her young family and her animals. Blessed to live in the beautiful Wye Valley in Monmouthshire she enjoys time exploring the very green, and often wet (!), welsh outdoors.
Scuba diving (often where sharks are involved) is also a long-time interest, the element of water being a great freer of all stresses!
- Diploma in Naturopathic nutrition (CNM – College of Naturopathic Medicine)
- Diploma in flower Essence Therapy Studies
- Diploma in Professional Therapeutic Counselling
- Accredited Women’s Health Practitioner
- NVQ Level 4 Management
- Diploma in Biochemic Tissue Salts
- Diploma in the Identification and Treatment of Allergic Disorders (with credit) (British Institute of Allergy and Environmental Therapy)
- Diploma in Child Nutrition (with distinction)
- Diploma in Natural Nutrition (College of Natural Nutrition)
- BSc (Hons) Clinical Language Sciences