Anatomy and Physiology
Ross and Wilson
Printed in Spain, paperback, 490 pages.ISBN9780702053252
Size220 x 275mm
This long established best-selling text meets the needs of a wide range of health care professionals including nurses, nursing students, students of allied health professions & complementary therapies, paramedics and ambulance technicians. The purpose of the book is reflected in its title, Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness. The text is written in straightforward language and is complemented by extensive clear, full-colour illustrations.
Each chapter provides an explanation of:
- the normal structure and functions of the human body
- what occurs when disease or illness disrupts the normal processes.
Previous edition - WINNER! The Bookseller's Best-sellers Award for an Academic Title. Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness, 9th edition was the best-selling academic title through bookshops in 2005.
- Carefully refined, clear and unambiguous text
- Excellent layout ensures the text and relevant illustrations are close together
- Highly illustrated with clear line diagrams, mostly in colour
- Text uses regular sequences of headings, lists, and bullet points to help with learning and revision
- Omits the unnecessary detail which can confuse the student new to the subject
- A glossary of common prefixes, suffixes and roots commonly used in anatomy and physiology
- An Appendix containing useful biological values for easy reference
- Learning outcomes related to the sections within each chapter
- Accompanying Colouring and workbook that facilitates structured learning and revision of the material in this book
- Access to an Evolve companion website offering animations, MCQs, a full image bank, an audio pronunciation guide as well as useful web links.
New to this Edition
- text revised and updated, including one chapter integrating the musculoskeletal system and a new chapter on genetics to reflect the increasing importance of this topic - new and revised artwork/illustrations - enhanced features on the Evolve website for students: - High quality animations - Multiple-choice questions - Web links to supplementary websites - An audio pronunciation guide and for Lecturers: - Image bank: the complete collection of images from the book.
Table of Contents
Common prefixes, suffixes and roots
SECTION 1 The body and its constituents The body as a whole. Electrolytes and body fluids. The cells, tissues and organisation of the body
SECTION 2 Communication The blood. The cardiovascular system. The lymphatic system. The nervous system. The special senses. The endocrine system
SECTION 3 Intake of raw materials and the elimination of waste The respiratory system. Introduction to nutrition. The digestive system. The urinary system
SECTION 4 Protection and survival The skin. Resistance and immunity. The musculoskeletal system. Introduction to genetics. The reproductive systems. Normal values. Bibliography
By Anne Waugh, BSc(Hons), MSc, CertEd, SRN, RNT, ILTM, Acting Head of School, School of Acute & Continuing Care Nursing, Napier University; and Allison Grant, BSc, PhD, RGN, Lecturer, School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, UK